Saturday, July 13, 2013

once upon a time #PitchMAS edition

I was just thinking about how far my writing has come in the last year. I have always loved writing. I have an insanely vivid imagination. I easily can lose myself in book after book. A couple of years ago I started writing my first novel, but couldn't get it to click. I was finishing school and writing quite a bit for my degree while I was pregnant with Archer. One of my professors suggested I think about writing fiction while we were discussing my thesis. So I dusted off the story I had previously shelved and got to it. Roughly three weeks later I had finished my first novel. I wrote day in and day out. I was completely obsessed, especially during nap time. I polished and finished that first one and proudly gave it out to family. Then I wrote my second novel, in the month of February of this year. I decided that same month to go to New York and attend a writing conference, which was set for April. I polished my novel and edited the crap out of it. But I didn't actually write the closing chapter until I was on the plane on my way to New York. I have since revised the first chapter, because it was never quite right... a few cuts here and rewrites there and now I love it. Now I find myself full of ideas. I am writing the second book in the Thalassa series. I am writing a YA contemporary fantasy, I am writing a YA contemporary and I am trying my hand at a New Adult romance. I jump from story to story, completely losing myself in the worlds and characters. It is crazy how much the story plays out in my head like a movie. I don't know when it happened, but it did. I am grateful for my husband who fosters my creativity and doesn't think I am absolutely insane when I run out of the room in the middle of a movie when I get an idea for a story. I am grateful for my sister who is always my first beta-reader, editor, and cheerleader. My Mom reads everything too and has always supported me in chasing my dreams. I am also finding myself falling in love with the writing community. Everyone I have met or connected with has been kind, respectful, funny, and just the right amount of geek to make me sure I would be friends with them if I ever had the chance. Writing has become a part of me, when I'm not writing- thoughts about plotting and character development about the story are on my mind during my daily routine. I still don't know if I will get an agent, but I am hoping it is more of a question of when... not if. I take writing like I take most things in my life, giving my whole self to it. With that said there was a Twitter pitch party called pitchmas this weekend- in 35 words or less you had the chance to hook agents on your book and they would respond to you if they wanted a query about your book and pages. I had four people interested. It was so freaking cool and who knows maybe one of them will be my agent soul mate. Hahaha but really! Well back to writing. Happy Weekend all.

Xo,
Kelli

3 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed, I love your books! It's so fun reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being the cheerleader! But honestly your books make it easy, and I wouldn't just say that. You rock its not a matter of if, but when:) luvs

    ReplyDelete
  3. KPK, I honestly don't doubt you will get an agent. I am excited to buy your book one day

    ReplyDelete