Sunday, March 10, 2013

work in progress #wip

So I am just over 46k words into my wip. I have been working on it since the first week of February. I was worried to take on such a different project from my first manuscript. This one goes in a completely different direction and I am constantly researching. My sister Nikki, aka my mock editor, is always sending me ideas and I have a secret board on Pinterest where I put the pictures that inspire my writing. I have sent out queries and guys it is so hard to sell yourself in a three paragraph email. I want to show these lit agents my passion and my drive. I want them to see the belief in my eyes and know that writing and telling my stories means so much to me. One of the authors I follow on Twitter said, if you don't tell your stories, no one will. I truly hope I find someone to represent me, I am trying to get an agent, but I live in Utah and they live in New York and LA. I am anxious to go to the Writer's Digest Conference next month, where I will get a sit down with agents from the city. When my thoughts wander throughout the day I practice my pitch. How do I put into ninety seconds what I have poured my imagination into for the last forty five days? Hi, I'm Kelli. Um... I think you should read my manuscript and take me on as a client and then we can sell my book to Harper Collins, okay? Cool. *Then we shake on it.* I have day dreams, is it silly for a twenty six year old to day dream- I don't care if it is, I want to be successful. I want to get published, I want to see my name on the front of a hardcover book and see my words in print and on the shelves and B+N. So I keep writing, with help from my husband and sister and encouragement from the same and my Mom. I have read that your family isn't a good place to test your manuscript, because they don't want to hurt your feelings... but my sister tells it like it is. Her and I have big dreams for my current wip. One day guys, one day I will have my series on shelves and you will say hey remember that one time Kelli posted about how she wanted to be successful... well she did it.

Xo,
Kelli

1 comment:

  1. 46k since 1st week of February - that's awesome. Almost a NaNoMo's worth of work!

    Queries are so, so hard. But sounds like the Writer's Digest Conference would be an awesome opportunity- though pitching in 90 seconds sounds like a tough one. Hope it goes well for you and you can get to that some day of sucess!

    ReplyDelete