Sunday, March 6, 2011

Night To Remember

Hello Blogging Friends,
A lot of what I have blogged about the last year has been the drill team I coach. I am sure some of you are sick to death of me and my reporting on my team, but to those that know me and love me, know what those girls mean to me and hopefully you will still like to hear about the things that I love. I wanted to do a reflection on this year... What a whirlwind it started out as... I wasn't even intending on applying to Davis when I called Terri to get a letter of recommendation last year (a Wednesday), I was looking to apply at another school- as I love dance and I wanted to give myself a leg up in education, because it is a hard job market right now.  When I spoke with Terri she said she would be happy to write the letter as long as I applied to the Davis Head Coach opening as well.  Of course I was thrilled and applied, I met with Mr. Burton the following Monday and interviewed for the position in front of a panel of eight people on Wednesday morning at 8a, Mr. Burton called to inform me I had gotten the job at 11:30a and asked if I could start that day, as it was clinics and I would be picking my team that Friday.  It was such a whirlwind and one of the best things that has happened to me.  It was my dream job to be coaching at a 5A high school, let alone Davis and its long line of excellence in athletics.  My girls became like a second family to me, when they cried I cried, when they were excited they made me feel like a child again... There are so many great things that can happen to kids when they are involved in extra-curricular activities and I am so proud to be able to coach them, they truly make me a better person.  They have come so far as a team, and for my first year coaching I think they did so well.  They may not have taken Region my first year, but if you have seen my team together, dancing on the floor- they are a sisterhood, you can truly tell how much they care about each other and how close they have grown... and as a coach that is more than I could ever ask for.  I am so proud of what beautiful young women they have become... my seniors are all going on to colleges, one of them received the Honors Academic scholarship to the U and the presidential scholarship to Weber- she is deciding where to go, she was also the #1 in the state for drill team academic all state team... My captain made it to the all state drill team and is going to the U, she is majoring in health sciences, my co-captain wants to be a teacher and an aggiette. One of my girls is going to go pre-med... they are so talented on the wood floor, they are so smart and kind... It is a blessing and a curse to go to, and teach at Davis. For those of you that went there you know the pride you have for your school, you also understand they hatred of every other school in Region 1.  People assume things about you, but my girls have changed the D'Ette reputation and have worked incredibly hard to be examples to those in their school and community and I think they have succeeded.   As this year comes to a close this Thursday at our Night to Remember I know that at 7p I will have tears welled in my eyes, for every emotion humanly possible.  Pride, sadness, excitement, happiness, gaul I can't even describe what it has meant to me... So, to those of you who are still reading this post, cheers and thank you for loving all the parts of me... Because your love is part of what makes me who I am... These girls are also a part of me now.

xoxo
Kelli

2 comments:

  1. You are one amazing coach, and your girl are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kel, you are so wonderful, beautifl, and amazing! I am seriously in awe at what you have done over the last year alone. I will be there to cheer you on. Probably by myself with Daxton as my date but none the less I will be there!

    ReplyDelete