Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It's for a GREAT cause, and because my nephew rocks!!


Have you heard of the Festival of Trees???   
Well if you haven't, check out their website, such a great cause and a beautiful event... This year my sister Jenny has taken on a HUGE project to do a tree for the festival, the trees are later auctioned off to the big businesses of Utah and ALL proceeds go to Primary Children's Hospital, who have played a huge part in her families lives --and I'm sure some of yours. Take a minute to read the story... 


A Tree.  By: Jenny Howe
 ---Jenny I stole this from your blog, sorry :o)

We, as do many others, have a tradition of attending the Festival of Trees every Christmas Season. We did not know how deeply it's meaning would affect our family until we met our Deak..This Christmas Festival allows people an opportunity to decorate a tree, wreath, gingerbread house, etc.  These items are then donated and auctioned off; the proceeds benefiting Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City. Abby performed at the festival with a little singing group the first year Deak came into our lives.  I remember feeling so overwhelmed, looking at each tree and reading each story of the children who had been honored. Many of these children had not survived. After touring three or so aisles, the tears just fell.  I felt so overwhelmingly grateful for the opportunity I had been given to have Deakon in my life. I did not, and still do not, feel I had done enough to deserve the miracles that had happened which allowed Deakon to survive and be a part of my world.  
Even as I type this, the gratitude I felt in that moment is being re-lived and is very difficult to describe.The following year, Abby was five and in Kindergarten .  We went to the Festival of Trees with our little family, and Abby had invited a friend to come along. 
 I noticed Abby paying very close attention to any tree which had a picture of a child in front of it...she would linger and began asking questions. 
"Mom, is this one like Deak?"
"Mom, what happened to this baby?"
She recognized the oxygen tubes and distinctive differences and very respectfully understood that we had a connection with all of these beautiful babies.Sometime after that experience, Abby began begging.
BEGGING to decorate a tree in honor of her brother.
She wants to honor her brother.
...still be my heart....
Last year, Abby came up with a theme for this tree.  She decided we would call it "Goodnight Moon" after Deakon's favorite story. So.Perfect.
So....we are doing it.
We are honoring Abby's brother, and her love for him.
All proceeds/donations to this tree will be directed to Primary Children's Medical Center.
The very first hospital that gave me hope.
The very hospital that saved his life.
Those of you who are familiar with this festival, understand the awesome undertaking we are about to dig ourselves into.  I feel very inept, but will attempt to do justice to Abby's creativity.We are sticking with a silver/blue theme with moon and star shaped ornaments.  
We are going to place children's books around the base of the tree, along with Deak's favorite Yo Gabba Gabba characters. 
Any donations, suggestions, help, etc...would be awesome if you can.  If not, a little extra love can't hurt:)
I'm feeling pretty lucky that I get to be a part of something so meaningful to my littles' lives.


*Jenny is still looking for NEW hard cover books from child up to teen*
Also any cash donation to go towards the purchasing of decorations for the GoodNight Moon tree would be greatly appreciated, 
I know times are tough and pennies are pinched, but any tiny bit helps...
Happy Holidays!!

1 comment: