Wednesday, November 10, 2010

today was good...

I know I talk about drill a lot.  Coaching takes up a huge majority of my life, I feel like if I talk about it more-people will think I am even more crazy than they already think.  But- I just wanted to share something that made my heart feel good today.  My girls have been working so hard to prepare for competition, we are getting there- but at the same time- are no where close to being ready.  My captains taught the team lyrical last week and they had to try out this week... More often than not, with as large of a team as I have (26) I don't get to put all of my girls into the dances, it is an unfortunate reality that I face every day.  I remember being an alternate my sophomore and for some dances my junior year and it is hard and it is heart breaking, but it is the reality of a competitive sport that not everyone plays all the time... think basketball and football.  Especially underclassmen.  So when we had lyrical tryouts today I don't think the girls were expecting much, I'm sure they figured the returners would be the only ones dancing in this routine- which they all love- choreographed by my captain.  So I had them try out in groups and we kind of made like we were cutting down the list and were going to cut it really small- and then I started reading names, one by one announcing every member of my team.  They were all looking around trying to count how many names I said when I told them the whole team would dance together, and they went nuts.  My eyes glazed over- but I didn't cry- and my heart was warm.  They were ecstatic to have their whole team in this routine, they weren't mad that 'the elite dancers' weren't the only ones in it, instead they were glad that they got to perform together as a whole.  It is days like today and practices like yesterday when I know that all the hard work, time, and energy I put into the program is worth it.  They are very talented girls and I am so excited to see how far they go this year.  

xoxo,
Kelli

4 comments:

  1. KPK, you are an amazing coach. I love hearing stories like this.

    Miss you. Love you. Call me

    You know the number.

    Love,
    Cort

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so awesome. you are a great writer too! and you should share stories all the time, its what you do and who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,
    That's so awesome! You've made an impact in each of these girls' lives. Keep going. You're amazing!! Let me know when the performances/comps are so I can come see.
    Love you,
    Pearl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got chills. You. Are. a. Great. Coach. Those girls are lucky =)

    ReplyDelete